The other day I caught a repeat of Barefoot Contessa where she made a scrumptious-looking lentil vegetable soup. Without thinking I printed the recipe and headed to the grocery store — before the episode was even over. The funny thing was later that night, my sister called and said, "did you see Barefoot Contessa? She made the most amazing soup!" I informed her that the very same soup was cooking on my stove and invited her over. I'm glad I did because the recipe serves a crowd. Like all Barefoot dishes, it's basic but full of flavor and wildly satisfying. The lentils provide a rich meatiness, and the chunky veggies are comforting and filling. To make it vegetarian-friendly, simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock. I highly recommend this enjoyable soup so get Ina's recipe after the break.
- 1 pound French green lentils
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large onions)
4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1/4 cup good olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)
3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
3 quarts chicken stock
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Check the seasonings.
- Add the red wine and serve hot, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with grated Parmesan.
- Main Dishes, Soup
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.