Don't have a pastry bag? Snip off the corner of a large resealable plastic bag, and use that to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- For the frosting:
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- To make cupcakes: Increase the oven temperature to 350°F. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger in a large mixing bowl. In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar, until fluffy and lightened in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until no streaks of yolk remain. Add the vanilla and maple syrup, and mix until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk in three additions each, alternating between the dry and wet, and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula between additions. Mix together until just combined. Fold in the nuts. Divide the batter among the cupcake molds, filling each mold about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- To make frosting: While the cupcakes bake, beat the butter for the frosting in a stand mixer, until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the maple syrup, and beat until smooth and completely incorporated. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble cupcakes: Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, then fill a pastry bag with the frosting. Pipe the frosting  onto the cupcakes. Top with candied bacon , and serve.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- Makes 18 cupcakes.