Chili flakes are one of my very favorite things to cook with, if you haven't already noticed. This appetizer is a classic in my family, and it even made my husband, the olive-hater, love and appreciate this little Mediterranean fruit. You don't need much for this recipe, and measurements are not the important thing here, so feel free to play around a little bit. What's important is that you shake everything together well, and give the olives some time to sit and collect the flavors. Feel free to make these a day in advance of when you plan to serve them because they will be that much better. And don't forget to serve these with a bowl for the pits.
For this ridiculously simple recipe, keep reading.
2 cups mixed olives in water with pits
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons chili flakes
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
The Trader Joe's mixed olives in the refrigerated section work perfectly for this recipe, but you can use any olive that you like.
- Drain olives. Rinse them with cold water and drain them again. Place them in a container that has a lid.
- With the side of your knife, smash garlic and add it to the olives.
- Add salt, oregano, chili flakes, oil, and vinegar.
- Close the container and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.
- Let the olives sit for at least 15 minutes, then serve.
Makes 2 cups of olives.
- Vegetables, Appetizers