1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
10 Tbs. (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten with 1 Tbs. water
1 jar (28 oz.) lemon curd filling
Whipped cream, meringue, fresh fruit or candied ginger for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt and pulse once to mix. Add the butter and process in short pulses until pea-size crumbs form, 20 to 25 seconds. While pulsing, add the egg yolk mixture and process until large, moist crumbs form, 10 to 15 seconds more.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball and divide it in half. Shape each half into a flat, 5-inch disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 400ºF.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Transfer a round to each well of a 12-well mini-tart plaque or mini-muffin pan.
- Using your fingers, press the pastry to fit into the well. Bake until the tart shells are evenly golden and crisp, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes, then remove the tart shells from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Fill each tart shell with 1 1/2 Tbs. tart filling. Garnish with whipped cream, meringue, fresh fruit or candied ginger.
Makes 12 tarts.
- Pies/Tarts, Desserts