Yesterday, on TeamSugar's food and entertaining channel, reader krys786 sent out a cry for help by asking for a tried and true choco-mint dessert. Apparently that combination is her boyfriend's fave and like a good girlfriend, she wants to make him a sweet treat. Always one to please, I thought I'd help a girl out by providing my favorite chocolate mint layer bars recipe. It's simple and easy to make consisting of a chocolate cake layer topped with a green mint glazed layer and a chocolate glaze layer. Think jazzed up minty brownies, think mouth watering, think absolutely to die for. Think you want the recipe? Well please
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1-1/2 cups (16-oz. can) chocolate syrup, such as Hersheys
Mint cream center, recipe follows
Chocolate glaze, recipe follows
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs and syrup in large bowl; beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Spread mint cream center on cake.
- Cover; refrigerate. Pour chocolate glaze over chilled dessert
- Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
Mint cream center: Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter or margarine and 2 tablespoons green creme de menthe (OR 1 tablespoon water plus 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon mint extract and 3 drops green food color may be substituted for creme de menthe) in medium bowl; beat until smooth.
Chocolate glaze: Melt 6 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.