If you're tired of the same old boring salads, turn to seasonal fruit to jazz up those greens. In Winter, I love tossing in segmented oranges, in Spring, I'll throw in strawberries, and now? Well, Summer's beautiful blackberries make an excellent addition to a bed of mixed lettuces. Thanks to sugared walnuts and tangy feta, this recipe has tons of texture. It's crunchy, creamy, tart, and juicy. To make the salad more substantial and a standalone supper, I incorporated pieces of crisped prosciutto. Serve with a chunk of bread and a glass of sparkling Rose and you've got the perfect easy and delicious August meal. Want the recipe I used? Keep reading.
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (preferably lemon-infused)
10 ounces mixed salad greens, such as baby spinach and red-leaf and Boston lettuces
1 pound fresh blackberries (about 4 pints)
9 ounces feta cheese, preferably French, crumbled
Sugared Walnuts, recipe below
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk together vinegar, orange juice, and salt. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Put salad greens, blackberries, feta, and walnuts into a bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 cups walnut halves (about 8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add walnuts, and blanch 2 minutes. Drain, and immediately toss with sugar-salt mixture.
- Transfer walnuts to a rimmed baking sheet, and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Sugared walnuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Makes about 2 cups.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.