You got to hand it to Rachael Ray, she is one clever lady. I would never have thought of stuffing portobello mushrooms with leftover deep dish pizza, but it sure is a great idea. Cubed pizza is tossed with sun dried tomatoes, spinach, and cheese. This mixture is then stuffed into the thick caps of mushrooms, making for a scrumptious meal. While it may not be the most FitSugar friendly dinner, it sure is an ingenious way to use leftover pizza! To look at the recipe, read more.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 onion, chopped
6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, thinly sliced
Two 6-ounce bags fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
2 slices leftover deep-dish cheese pizza, cut into bite-size pieces
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
Salt and pepper
4 large portobello mushroom caps
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pizza, half of the cheese, the chicken broth and basil and cook until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Using a spoon, scrape the gills from the inside of each mushroom cap and discard. Brush the top of each mushroom cap with olive oil and place upside down on a baking sheet.
- Divide the stuffing among the mushroom caps; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, 20 minutes. Top with more chopped basil.