If you cooked up a batch of yesterday's gnocchi, you'll probably have some leftover (at least, I did). They'll last in the freezer for 4-6 weeks, but if you're like me, you'll put them in there and forget all about it. So instead of wasting all of your beautiful, handmade gnocchi, why don't you toss them into this delicious Italian Vegetable Soup with Gnocchi that I found over at What's for Lunch, Honey. To check out the recipe, read more
200g Fresh or ready made Gnocchi
1 liter Vegetable stock - either pre-prepared or self made
2 tablespoons of fresh basil chopped
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 tablespoons tomato purée
500g mixed vegetables:
zucchini, green beans, onions, broccoli, red bell peppers, carrots - cut these in either slices or bite sized pieces
Parmesan cheese - grated
salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped garlic and gently sauté until soft. Add the tomato purée and cook for another 1- 2 minutes. Throw in all the vegetables and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime boil enough water for the gnocchi and cook the gnocchi for 2 minutes.
- In the soup add salt and pepper to taste. Pour some soup in a soup plate. Place some gnocchi into the soup sprinkle with basil and grated parmesan.
- My tips: Cook the gnocchi separately and not in the soup. Often one has a bit of leftovers, cooking the gnocchi in the soup makes it mushy for the next round.
- If you steam the vegetables for 2 minutes prior to adding it in the soup and then running these under cold water, they will retain their bright colors. Add the steamed vegetables to the soup after you have added the stock to the tomato purée mixture.