If you've got a great piece of leftover roasted pork loin, your natural instinct might be to slice it up and serve it in a sandwich. While that's a completely acceptable solution —especially when paired with a fantastic pesto, or fruity fig jam — I thought it would be fun to put the ol' bbq to use before the weather turns completely. This simple salad relies on grilled veggies — if you don't have a grill use the broiler in your oven — and is perfect for an early fall meal. To get the recipe, read more
2/3 pound red potatoes, cut into (1/8-inch-thick) slices
1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
1 large red bell pepper, quartered
1 large orange bell pepper, quartered
1 medium red onion, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
4 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leftover pork roast (about 8 ounces)
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups salad and 1 bread slice)
- Prepare grill.
- Toss potatoes with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Place potatoes on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and onion on grill rack; cook 3 minutes on each side.
- Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until well marked. Rub both sides of each bread slice with cut sides of garlic.
- Coarsely chop zucchini, squash, and bell peppers.
- Combine vegetables and pork in a large bowl, tossing gently.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add remaining 3 1/2 teaspoons oil, stirring with a whisk.
- Drizzle vinegar mixture over vegetable mixture, tossing to coat.
- Serve bread with salad.
CALORIES 310(25% from fat); FAT 8.5g (sat 1.7g,mono 5.1g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 15g; CHOLESTEROL 26mg; CALCIUM 73mg; SODIUM 755mg; FIBER 5.6g; IRON 2.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 45.1g