While you could easily use leftover roast chicken to make chicken salad, I recommend you use it to make something a little more exciting like roasted chicken purses. This creative recipe combines leftover chicken with ricotta cheese and lemon zest. The mixture is stuffed into wonton wrappers and cooked like pasta. The result is a bite sized treat that is savory and scrumptious. These would make delicious appetizers or a delightful meal when paired with a green salad. To see the recipe,
1 1/4 cup shredded roasted chicken (or any leftover chicken, light and/or dark meat)
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 lemon, zested
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
32 small, square wonton wrappers
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- In a small bowl combine the chicken, ricotta cheese, lemon zest, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- On a dry work surface place 8 wonton wrappers. Place a rounded teaspoon of the chicken mixture in the center of each wrapper.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash around the chicken mixture. Bring four corners of the wonton square together over the filling to form a purse. Press the edges together tightly to form a seal. Wipe the board with a towel until dry and continue making batches of 8 with the remaining wonton skins.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add
the purses and cook until they float to the surface, stirring occasionally, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the ravioli.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet. Turn off the heat, add the cooked pyramids and gently toss.
- Transfer the pyramids to 4 serving plates. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Pasta, Main Dishes