In this filling dinner salad, not only do the chicken and leftover chickpeas pack a double dose of protein, but the feta and chopped dill pickles add a much-needed flavor kick.
If you're vegetarian, simply exclude the chicken for an equally delicious meal. To make this salad for dinner,
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet or hot paprika
3 (6-inch) pita breads with pockets
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups loosely packed arugula
6 cups loosely packed mesclun
2 large red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
2 large yellow bell peppers, coarsely chopped
1 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 1/2 cups cooked or drained, rinsed and dried canned chickpeas
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 cups diced dill pickle
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the cumin and paprika in a small bowl.
- Split each pita horizontally into 2 rounds and brush the rough sides with equal amounts of the oil mixture. Cut the rounds into small triangles or 1-inch pieces and arrange in 1 flat layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt when just out of the oven.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large serving bowl until blended. Slowly pour in the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil, whisking to form a smooth dressing.
- Just before serving, pile the arugula and mesclun in the center of the bowl on top of the dressing. Surround with the peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, feta, pickles, and chicken. Add the pita croutons, toss and serve.
- Salads, Chicken
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.