One of my favorite things about grilled chicken is leftovers the next day. In fact, whenever we fire up the grill, I always insist that we throw an extra piece or two for the next day. It's great in sandwiches, shredded up for burritos or tacos, or in my fave way, cut up and mixed into a nice bright salad. You can top a bed of mixed greens, pineapples and tomatoes with chicken, or use any of your favorite fixins. For a grilled chicken salad that will pair well with last night's lime & coriander chicken, read more
Thai Grilled Chicken Salad
From Thai Food Guide @ About.com
2 cooked chicken breasts, or 4 chicken thighs
a large salad-bowl amount of salad greens (romaine lettuce, spinach, red lettuce, etc)
1 cucumber, sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces if the leaves are large
1 red chili pepper, de-seeded and cut into small pieces
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. minced lemongrass
1 kaffir lime leaf
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. minced galangal OR ginger
2 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
1 tsp. Thai red chilli sauce
5 Tbsp. water
- Toss salad ingredients (minus the chicken) in a large salad-bowl.
- Make the dressing: place water, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaf in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute (this will soften the lemongrass and bring out the flavor of the lime leaf). Remove from heat.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients to the lemongrass-lime leaf water. Mix well.
- Taste-test the dressing. It should be tangy - a mixture of salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. Adjust it to your taste by adding more fish sauce if not salty enough, more lime juice if too sweet, more sugar if too sour, or more chilli sauce if not spicy enough for your taste. Note: remove the kaffir lime leaf and discard.
- Now toss the salad with the dressing. Portion out the salad among individual plates, and top with strips of warmed grilled chicken. Sprinkle with fresh basil and chilli, and serve immediately while chicken is still warm.