If you have any of last night's beer can chicken left, then I highly recommend taking the juicy meat and turning it into a flavorful tex-mex chicken salad. Wrapped in a tortilla, this salad will make a great dinner for a hectic Monday, or as a lovely snack for Tuesday. To check out the simple recipe,
The salad should make enough filling for 2 wraps, however you can modify it depending on how much chicken you have leftover.
For the dressing:
2 Tbs. sour cream
1-1/2 Tbs. fresh lime juice, more as needed
Generous pinch ground cumin
For the salad:
1/2 ear fresh corn, browned under the broiler or on a grill, kernels removed (about 1/3 cup)
1 cup chopped or shredded leftover grilled or roasted chicken
1/3 cup medium-diced cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup small-diced avocado
2 Tbs. thinly sliced scallions (about 2 scallions)
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. minced fresh jalapeño or serrano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, 1-1/2 Tbs. lime juice, and cumin and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, corn, tomatoes, avocado, scalllions, cilantro and jalapeño.
- Add dressing and gently fold all ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld. Before serving, adjust the salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.
- Serve wrapped in tortillas or as a dip for chips.