Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups hot water (110ºF)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
Kosher salt, to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
2 pounds bread flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and then line it with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the hot water, oil, sugar, yeast, and 1 tablespoon salt; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt into the yeast mixture; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using the dough hook attachment of your standing mixer, slowly begin adding the flour to the yogurt mixture on low speed. When all of the flour is incorporated, cover the bowl and let the dough proof in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine the cumin seed, sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Portion the dough into 4-ounce balls, and then roll each into a tight ball. Transfer to the prepared sheet, spray the tops with cooking spray, and cover the sheet with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Let the dough come to room temperature, covered. Meanwhile, position an oven rack into the center of the oven and set a pizza stone (if using) onto the rack; heat the oven to 475ºF.
- Lightly flour a work surface and set one ball of the dough on top. Sprinkle more flour on top of the dough and push it down to flatten into circle. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 6-inch circle. Brush off excess flour, if necessary, and then liberally brush the top surface with melted butter. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the seed/salt mixture over the butter. Repeat with the remaining dough, butter, and seed/salt mixture.
- Tortillas/Pitas, Breads