Woo-Hoo! I know you've all been waiting for it anxiously and finally it's here! Today is National Peanut Butter Day! Maybe I'm being a bit too enthusiastic about the whole thing, but I mean come on, who doesn't love a little peanut butter every now and again? Did you know that peanut butter was originally created to perform the same function as toothpaste way back in 1880? Or that peanut butter and jelly was a result of World War II? Apparently soldiers were given peanut butter instead of meat due to enforced rationing. The soldiers added jelly to make it taste better and viola the all American sandwich was born. To celebrate National Peanut Butter Day, I've rounded up a bunch of fun facts about peanut butter so
- Following the regulations stated by the U.S Food and Drug Administration, 2 rodent hairs are allowed in every 100 grams of peanut butter. (Ewww, isn't that gross?!)
- In Holland peanut butter is called pindakass which translates to peanut cheese. The Dutch government protects the word butter so the peanut butter makers had to improvise and substitute cheese for butter.
- Apparently there is a sandwich called the fluffernutter (what a funny name! I should tell GiggleSugar, she would have a field day) that pairs peanut butter with marshmallow creme (if anyone has tried this please tell me about it below).
- You probably already know this, but one of Elvis' favorite foods was a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (has anyone ever tried this?).
- I would love to know the scientific explanation behind this one: creamy peanut butter can be used to remove gum from hair and clothing.
- Boscul Peanut Butter glasses - which were originally glass jars of peanut butter from the 50s - are a sought after collectors item.
- Peanut butter has been banned in many schools all across America because of the severe allergic reaction that may occur to those who can not eat peanuts.
- For peanut butter to be real it must consist of at least 90% peanuts.
- While Americans prefer peanut butter, Europeans favor nutella.
Know a crazy fun fact about peanut butter that I failed to list here? Tell me about it por favor! I love busting out with these meaningless pieces of trivia at a dull dinner party.