Yesterday I reported to you all that it was National Roast Suckling Pig day (OK I kind of like saying National Roast Suckling Pig) and today I'm reporting something you can actually like and enjoy: today is Oatmeal Muffin Day. If you don't have time to make my recipe for Oatmeal Muffins be sure to pick one up at your local bakery or cafe. A fresh baked oatmeal muffin paired with a foamy cappuccino is the quintessential afternoon pick me up. To bake oatmeal muffins,
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup of one of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, drained chopped nuts
3 tbsp oil
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp melted butter
For the topping:
- Measure and mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, melted butter.
- Place butter in a glass measuring cup (or custard cup) and microwave for 20 seconds.
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put muffin papers in the muffin pan.
- Sift flour. Measure 1 cup of SIFTED flour and put into sifter.
- Measure and add baking powder and salt. Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in oatmeal & (raisins, nuts).
- Measure oil & put in another mixing bowl. Measure milk & add to second bowl.
- Break egg into a custard cup & beat with fork. Add to second bowl & mix all liquids together.
- Combine all ingredients (plus cranberries if chosen) & stir only until ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin papers 2/3 full. Sprinkle muffins with topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes.