The Olympic flame is a time-honored tradition, so what better way to commemorate the 2014 Winter Games than by channeling the iconic torch in tasty cupcake form? Watch the video to see how these celebratory citrus cupcakes are assembled, including their eye-catching candy flames. (Yes, they're edible!)
On Brandi: Gap
For the cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The juice of 1 orange
2 dozen ice cream cones
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar and citrus zest. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and continue mixing. Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream to mixture. Add vanilla, and mix just until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until light-golden brown and springy. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the candy flames: Line a half-sheet pan with wax paper.
- Melt orange, red, and yellow candy melts in three separate dishes. Pour candy onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper in a zigzag motion, or pipe the chocolate into flame shapes, using a toothpick for a marbled flame effect. Refrigerate until completely set and firm, about 5 minutes.
- Peel marbled candy melts off of the wax paper, and break into flame-like shards.
- Make the frosting: Cream butter, sugar, and salt until combined. Add vanilla and orange juice, and beat for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. The frosting should be thick enough to pipe. If it is too stiff, thin it by adding orange juice 1 teaspoon at a time; if it is too thin, thicken it by adding sifted powdered sugar 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Decorate the cupcakes: To assemble, peel the cupcake liners off of each cupcake and anchor the cupcakes in the ice cream cones with a dab of frosting. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, and pipe. Decorate with candy flames.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- 2 dozen cupcakes