My sweetheart and I were assigned to the dessert portion of the meal, where we made another warm, chocolatey dessert: churros, fried Mexican doughnuts, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and dipped in spicy chocolate sauce. It may sound intimidating to make a deep-fried dessert, but it really isn't that hard! Check out all the steps when you
6 cups canola oil, for frying
1 3/4 cups water
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 ounces Mexican chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare batter: In a frying pan, heat the oil to 375°F.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil with the butter and salt. Remove from heat.
- Add the flour and stir vigorously until incorporated. Using an electric mixer, beat the dough at low speed for 1 minute, just until slightly cooled.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat in the eggs and egg white, one at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface and put in the freezer until cooled to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Scoop the dough into a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Mix topping: In a bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Fry churros: Set a cooling rack on a sheet pan. Squeeze 4-inch lengths of the dough into the hot oil, cutting them off with a knife. Fry about 6 churros at a time; they expand as they cook. Turn over once or twice, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the churros on the rack for 2 minutes, then dust with the cinnamon sugar.
- Make Chocolate Sauce: Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the cream and milk until small bubbles appear around the edge. Add the chocolates, sugar, vanilla, cayenne and salt. Whisk over low heat until the chocolate is melted. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Serve at once with hot chocolate sauce.
Makes 24 churros.
- Desserts, Doughnuts