With Christmas and a number of cookie exchanges approaching this week, I figured I'd go ahead and whip up a batch of peanut butter cookies. I thought about making a traditional peanut butter cookie, but I really don't know how to leave a good thing alone and decided it needed to be one-upped — after all, everything tastes better when Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are involved, right?
The results were everything a peanut-butter-and-chocolate-dessert-lover could ask for and then some. My only piece of advice? For a more robust flavor, skip the all-natural, organic peanut butter in favor of something high in fat, sugar, and flavor, like Skippy or Jif. Keep reading to see the peanut butter cookie recipe.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (recommended: Skippy or Jif)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
8 peanut butter cups, such as Reese's, pulverized to a paste, plus 1 cup (7-8) peanut butter cups, chopped
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or mixer), cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and pulverized peanut butter cups. Mix again until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, blending slowly until mixed; stir in vanilla.
- In 3 batches, add flour mixture on low speed until blended.
- Add chopped peanut butter cups and chocolate chunks. Mix thoroughly.
- Using your hands, make small 1-1/2-inch balls. Flatten balls, and create a crisscross pattern using tines of a fork. Bake on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet until the cookies are just beginning to brown, about 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool on the sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack. Store in airtight container.
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.