3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus extra, as needed
1/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg white product
1 teaspoon water, plus extra, as needed
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
4 (4-ounce) bars dark chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the powdered sugar, egg white product, 1 teaspoon water, and peppermint extract. Mix on low speed until smooth.
- Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture forms a stiff dough (if the mixture becomes too stiff, add extra water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time and beat until smooth).
- Put the mixture on a work surface dusted with powdered sugar and roll it into a log about 12-inches long and 1 1/4-inches in diameter.
- Slice the log into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces, form them into balls and flatten into discs. Arrange in single layers on the prepared baking sheets. Let the candies dry, uncovered, at room temperature for 3 hours or overnight.
- Put the chocolate and vegetable oil in a small bowl and set it over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Dip each candy into the melted chocolate and turn to coat in chocolate. Return them to the parchment paper until the chocolate has set, about 3 hours.
Makes 28-32 patties.
- Candy, Desserts
- North American