Everyone has had pickled ginger as a condiment in a sushi restaurant, but did you know it can be made at home? The preparation isn't that time consuming, but the ginger has to sit in a vinegar mixture for several hours. Considering that the pickled ginger can last for up to six months in the fridge, it's well worth the effort! The final product has a wonderful color and is fresh in both flavor and texture. Not only is it great on sushi, but it's a delicious addition to marinades, stir-frys, salads, and if you are feeling exceptionally adventurous, Vietnamese sandwiches. Keep reading for the recipe.
- 1 lb. fresh ginger
2 cups unseasoned rice vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs. table salt
- In a tall 8-quart pot fitted with a rack, sterilize a quart jar by boiling it in water for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the jar in the water until you’re ready to use it.
- Peel the ginger with a vegetable peeler or the edge of a spoon.
- Using a mandoline or food processor, slice the ginger as thinly as possible (preferably paper thin and no thicker than 1/16 inch).
- In a 5-quart saucepan over high heat, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve, then increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and cover the pan.
- When the water boils, add the ginger and cook, stirring once or twice, to soften it, about 30 seconds.
- Drain the ginger in a large colander, tossing the pieces so they drain well. Remove the jar from the water bath, and drain well.
- Transfer the ginger to the jar, using a canning funnel if you have one. Pour in the vinegar mixture (it should completely cover the ginger).
- Cover the jar with its lid, allow to cool completely, and refrigerate. The ginger will be ready to eat after several hours.
Makes 1 quart.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces
Are you an avid home cook, too? Check out the YumSugar Community where you can share your recipes and food photography with our community!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.