From potato skins to twice-baked potatoes to potatoes au gratin, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the glorious combination of cheese and potatoes. When the weather is cold, however, you can't beat a steaming hot bowl of potato and cheddar chowder. It's thick, it's creamy, and it's comforting. The best thing about this version is the small surprising bites of spicy chorizo. Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I recommend serving the soup with sliced toasted sourdough; crostini on the side provide an element of crunch that's perfect for dipping in the satisfying soup. Pair with a glass of sparkling Rosé and you're in for a decadent dinner! Check out the recipe now.
- 1 Spanish-style chorizo sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
1 carrot, peeled and minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon pimenton picante (hot Spanish paprika)
3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and thinly sliced
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
Black pepper in a mill
8 to 10 fresh sage leaves, minced
Whole sage leaves, for garnish
- Take the sausage from its casing, set it into a heavy soup pan set over medium heat, crumble it with a fork and cook until it loses its raw color. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl; set it aside.
- Return the pan to medium low heat, add the olive oil, onion and carrot and saute gently until soft and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saute 2 minutes more, add the pimenton and season with salt. Add the potatoes and stock, increase the heat to medium high and when the liquid boils, reduce the heat so that it simmers gently.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree about half the potatoes. Stir thoroughly.
- Return the cooked sausage to the pan, add the cream and heat through. Add the cheese and stir as it melts. Remove from the heat without letting it boil.
- Taste, correct for salt, if necessary, and season generously with black pepper.
- To serve, ladle into soup plates, sprinkle minced sage on top, garnish with a sage leaf or two and serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Soup
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.