There are thousands of potato salad variations out there, but sometimes nothing beats good, old-fashioned classic potato salad. You know what kind I'm talking about: the potato salad that's coated in a creamy mayonnaise dressing and dotted with hard-boiled eggs.
Sure, you can pick it up at every grocery store and deli in America, but why not whip up a large batch of it at home? This recipe is straightforward: you boil some potatoes and toss them with a bunch of chopped veggies and a mayo-mustard sauce.
Although capers aren't a traditional ingredient, their salty, briny quality is welcomed in this salad. Prepare it a day in advance, so the potato salad has plenty of time to chill. For my favorite recipe, keep reading.
- 2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes
2 large eggs
1/2 bunch sliced scallions, white and green parts
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles with 1/4 cup juice, about 2 pickles
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 lemon, juiced
Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes and eggs into a big saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a simmer.
- After 12 minutes remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool.
- Continue cooking the potatoes until a paring knife poked into them goes in without resistance, about 3 minutes longer. Drain the potatoes in a colander and let them cool.
- Reserve some scallion greens and capers for garnish.
- Meanwhile, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, pickles and their juice, onion, remaining scallions and capers, parsley, and lemon juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes.
- Peel the cool eggs and grate them into the bowl.
- Stick a fork into the potatoes and lift them 1 at a time out of the colander. Break up the potatoes by hand into rough chunks, add them to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
- Potato, Salads
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.