The rambunctious holiday tradition of wearing green and guzzling beer is just a few days away. For most of us that means hitting the bars and drinking green beers, but wait! Do you think true Irish drink beer? No way, they drink Guinness (although, a friend was just telling me about an article stating that more Irish are drinking wine instead of beer, but that's a whole other story...)! And apparently they're not alone because 13 million pints of Guinness are poured across the planet, that's more than 150 pints every second!
So to ensure that your pint is poured just right, Guinness Brewmaster Fergal Murray has some great tips:
- Use a clean, dry glass -- preferably an Imperial 20-ounce pint with branded logo
- Hold the glass at a 45-degree angle and never allow the spout to touch the beer or glass
- The Pour: Pull faucet down and allow beer to fill glass. You will see the surge commence
- The Settle: Allow the nitrogen bubbles create the theater and wonderful surge event, creating the beautiful creamy head
- The Top Up: The beer has settled (there is a distinct gap between dark liquid and head) and the glass is topped up slowly to create a domed effect with the head proud of the glass
- The Presentation: Give the creation of the perfect pint to the adoring customer
Oh and speaking of Guinness, their online webstore has a bunch of things you never knew you needed, including Guinness T-shirts, salt & pepper shakers, awesome posters, socks and underwear. Yes, they even have underwear.