If you're looking for a project this weekend, why not make a wonderful and delicious brunch? This strata is the perfect way to start any day. It's decadent and rich without being too filling. A strata is similar to a savory bread pudding; basically it's layers of bread, prosciutto, cheese, and vegetables covered in an egg milk mixture and baked.
The resulting dish is puffy, flavorful, and absolutely wonderful. I especially enjoy this recipe because it has to be made the night before, meaning the day you want to enjoy it all you have to do is pop it in the oven and bake! Oh, and unless you want a burnt strata, when you make it, try not to fall asleep on the couch while it cooks. Learn the technique by reading more.
18 slices firm white bread (such as English muffin bread), crusts removed
6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
4 ounces provolone, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 pound asparagus, root end removed, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped green onions
6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
5 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish completely with 1 layer of bread, cutting some slices to fit.
- Arrange half of prosciutto evenly over bread. Sprinkle half of goat cheese and half of provolone over. Sprinkle with half of asparagus, green onions, and half of basil.
- Top with second layer of bread. Layer remaining prosciutto, goat cheese, provolone, green onions, and basil atop bread. Cut remaining bread into 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle over top.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, and salt in bowl. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over strata; press down on bread with spatula. Drizzle melted butter over strata. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover strata and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Bake until center is set, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Place strata under broiler until top is golden, about 30 seconds. Cut into large squares and serve.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- North American