- For the chicken:
- Canola, grapeseed, or olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups your favorite BBQ sauce
- 3 cups shredded roasted or rotisserie chicken
- For the slaw:
- 1 small head (about 1 pound) savoy cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- For serving:
- 4 whole-wheat burger buns or kaiser rolls, toasted
- For the chicken: Heat oil in a medium nonstick pan over high heat. When it shimmers, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, another 2 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce and chicken and cook until just coated and warmed through.
- For the slaw: Slice cabbage in half through the core. Cut a V-shaped notch around the white core on each half; discard the core. Slice each half lengthwise into quarters and thinly slice each quarter crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide strips.
- Combine vinegar, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, sugar, celery seeds, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to mix well. Add cabbage, grated carrots, scallions, and reserved onion-vinegar mixture and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 day.
- To serve: Top buns with shredded chicken and as much slaw as you desire. Serve.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American