Our hearts and our stomachs felt empty today when we learned that Ford's Filling Station in Culver City, CA, had closed its doors . What better way to pay tribute to this beloved gastropub than with its insanely delicious recipe for a pulled pork grilled cheese? Watch as chef Ben Ford  (son of Harrison Ford ) teaches you how to make this Cuban-inspired sandwich that we hope makes an appearance on all of his future menus. Until Ford's new spot opens, you can still sample his creative grub via his new cookbook, Taming the Feast , and by re-creating this sandwich at home.
- 2 jalapeño chilies, roasted
2 fresno chilies, roasted
1 red pepper, roasted
1 teaspoon amber honey
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 ounces mayonnaise
1 ounce whole grain mustard
5 ounces pulled pork
1/2 ounce chicken stock
2 slices brioche bread
1 ounce gouda, sliced
- To Make the Three-Pepper Relish: Roast chilies over an open flame until the skin is blistered and charred on all sides. Remove from flame, and place in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Reserve a tablespoon of the roasted pepper juice. Remove the chilies, peel them, and remove the seeds and stem. Finely dice the chilies.
- Combine the reserved roasted pepper juice with the honey, and reduce by half until it is a syrupy consistency. Add peppers and cilantro to the syrup, and set aside.
- To Make the Whole Grain Mustard-Mayo: Combine the mayonnaise with the whole grain mustard in a bowl.
- To Assemble: Warm the pulled pork in a sauté pan with the chicken stock.
- Toast the brioche bread slices on one side. This will be the inside face of the sandwich.
- Spread mustard-mayo on the inside of one bread slice, and spread three-pepper relish on the inside of the other. Top the relish with a slice of gouda cheese, followed by the warm pulled pork and another slice of gouda. Top with the mustard-mayo slice.
- Place sandwich on a griddle, and lightly press the sandwich down. Flip when you have achieved a brown, toasted look on each side and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- 1 sandwich