I used to believe that vegetarian food could never be a filling, satisfying meal until I recently started to appreciate and embrace vegetarian cooking. I encourage you to give it a try with a super simple, quick fix dinner dish: tasty texas tofu recipe. It's a robust dish with layered spicy tofu, thick warm beans, and crisp sourdough bread. Turn it into a last minute week night dinner party with store bought chips and guacamole, icy cold beers, and a flan for dessert. Get the recipe now, read more
4 1-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
3 cups vegetarian-style baked beans
4 Tbs. vegetable oil for frying
1 onion, diced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into large cubes
4 Tbs. soy “bacon” bits
8 oz. shredded soy cheese, preferably mixture of cheddar and Monterey Jack
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Arrange thick slices of bread in a large baking dish, and set them aside.
- Place beans in a large saucepan, and heat them over medium heat, warming them through completely. When they are hot, remove them from heat, and set them aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion until golden, for about 5 minutes. Remove onion from heat, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine cumin, chili powder, onion powder and cornstarch in a large bowl, mixing to combine well. Place cubed tofu in a bowl, and dust each side with mixture.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, and heat over medium heat. Sauté tofu cubes on all sides until crispy, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove them from heat, and place them in a bowl with onion.
- Spoon beans over bread slices in equal portions, and sprinkle “bacon” bits onto beans. Top with tofu and onions, and sprinkle each portion with grated cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove them from oven, and garnish them with cilantro before serving.
PER Serving: 710 CAL; 39 G PROT; 27 G TOTAL FAT ( 2 SAT. FAT) ; 86 G CARB.; 1910 MG SOD.; 14 G FIBER; 15 G SUGARS