Yumsugar reader, mrs_smith, recently posted one of my favorite Cooking Light recipes in the Kitchen Goddess group. I've made this recipe a ton of times and was actually thinking about posting the recipe here, but mrs_smith beat me to it! We both highly recommend you make this yummy yet simple soup. For the recipe,
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 medium)
6 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
2 cups water or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (14-ounce) cans organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
2 thyme sprigs
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut sourdough French bread baguette
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare soup, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
- Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- To prepare cheddar toasts, place baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes or until toasted.
- Turn slices over; coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each slice.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with red pepper.
- Remove soup pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs.
- Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve with cheddar toasts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.