Recently I got an email from a reader, Ginger, asking me if I knew of any great recipes for a savory crepe. Now I love crepes and thought who doesn't love crepes? So I decided to share a scrumptiously savory crepe recipe with all of you. Make this recipe when you are not feeling rushed or flustered because it can take a few attempts to get the crepes just right. The bacon, mushroom, and béchamel filling is perfect for a light dinner or decadent lunch. To check out the recipe,
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil for brushing pan
6 slices bacon
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced thin
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Make crêpes: In a bowl whisk together egg, milk, butter, and parsley until combined well. Add flour, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a 6- to 8-inch crepe pan over moderately high heat until hot. Brush pan with oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir batter and half fill a 1/4-cup measure with it. Pour batter into pan, tilting and rotating pan quickly to cover bottom with a thin layer of batter, and return any excess to bowl.
- Return pan to heat and loosen edge of crêpe with a spatula. Cook crêpe until underside is lightly browned.
- Turn crêpe and lightly brown other side. Transfer crêpe to a plate.
- Make more crêpes with remaining batter, brushing pan lightly with oil as necessary. (Crêpes may be made 1 day in ahead and chilled, stacked and wrapped well in plastic wrap.)
- Make filling: In a large heavy skillet cook bacon over moderately high heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and chop bacon.
- To fat remaining in skillet add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon butter and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a heavy saucepan melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderately high heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes.
- Add milk gradually, whisking constantly, and cook. stirring, occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened and smooth.
- Add mushrooms, cream, parsley, bacon, salt and pepper to taste and simmer 10 minutes, or until very thick. Cool filling slightly.
- Spread each crêpe with about 1/4 cup filling and fold in quarters, transferring crêpes as filled to an ovenproof platter. Heat crêpes in oven until heated through.
Makes 12 crêpes.