If you're in the mood for curry, but don't have the time to make the spicy sauce from scratch, you're in luck! This yummy curried rice dish uses curry powder for a shortcut and is jazzed up with plump shrimp.
Feel free to sub out the carrots with whatever veggies you have on hand and add some peppers if you want to up the hot factor. For the hearty, no-fuss recipe keep reading.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and curry and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, 2 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and nestle them in the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in the basil.
- Rice, Main Dishes