It combines arugula, endive, and radicchio with toasted, crunchy almonds. The dressing is a mixture of warmed olive oil, woody herbs, and sweet apricot jam. Disks of creamy goat cheese and a chunk of toasty bread turn the salad into a filling and healthy meal. To get the recipe,
1/2 cup whole unsalted almonds
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
6 cups baby arugula (6 ounces)
2 Belgian endives, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 small head of radicchio, cored and finely shredded
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
3 tablespoons apricot jam
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
One 8-ounce log of fresh goat cheese, cut into 8 rounds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a bowl, mix the shallot and vinegar; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula, endives, radicchio and almonds.
- In a skillet, heat the oil, rosemary and thyme over moderate heat for 2 minutes, until they sizzle. Stir in the jam and cook until melted, 30 seconds. Add the shallot and vinegar and cook over low heat until warmed, 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the greens and toss. Mound the salad on plates, arrange 2 rounds of goat cheese on each plate and serve.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American