When it comes to meaty sandwiches, it's hard to get much meatier than a sloppy joe. But with National Vegetarian Month on the horizon, you can enjoy a kinder, gentler, and healthier version of the old Manwich.Made with hearty portobello mushrooms flavored with bell peppers, onions, tomato paste, and a touch of spice, these vegetarian sloppy joes don't taste like beef, but in sentiment and sloppiness, they do the trick. Get the recipe now.
I opted not to include the sliced jalapeño, however the sauce seemed too bland, so I added a lot more Worcestershire and hot sauce. Also, my sauce didn't come out as sloppy or sweet as I like, so I recommend adding maple syrup and white wine. For an added indulgence, top with shredded cheese.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, wiped clean, black gills scraped out and discarded, and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 toasted whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, bell peppers, and onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add rest of oil and mushrooms; toss well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomato sauce and paste, Worcestershire, oregano, Tabasco, 3/4 cup water, 1/4 white wine, and maple syrup; stir well. Cook, stirring often, to thicken, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture inside hamburger buns, and add jalapeño slices and shredded cheese on top (if using).
Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American