After enjoying my fair share of sandwiches at 'Wichcraft, I brought the yumminess home by whipping up one of the recipes from Tom Colicchio and Sisha Ortuzar's 'Wichcraft cookbook. Inspired by a salad popular in Ortuzar's native Chile, this celery, avocado, and goat cheese concoction looked easy, summery, and delicious. Plus, it's not on 'Wichcraft's menu, and I was intrigued by the use of celery in a sandwich. See how it turned out and get the easy recipe.
This combination is crisp, cool, creamy, and scrumptious, with the pesto and watercress adding a bold bite. Though the cookbook includes a recipe for homemade walnut pesto, I purchased premade sauce to keep things simple. My only mistake was not heeding the "hearty multigrain" suggestion; I used soft, thick wheat bread, but the moist fillings would be better contained between firmer, more substantial slices.
- 8 tablespoons fresh goat cheese
- 8 slices hearty multigrain bread
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 4 tablespoons lemon vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 2 cups watercress, largest stems removed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- Lemon vinaigrette:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Make the vinaigrette: In a bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, shallots, and salt and whisk until the vinaigrette emulsifies. Add the rosemary sprig, cover, and set aside for 1 hour. Remove the rosemary before using. Keeps well if refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes about 2 cups.
- Spread the goat cheese evenly over 4 of the slices of bread.
- In a bowl, toss the celery in the vinaigrette, and place on top of the goat cheese. Add the watercress to the bowl used to dress the celery and toss with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Top the celery with avocado, season with salt and pepper, and follow with the dressed watercress.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the 4 remaining bread slices. Close the sandwiches, cut into halves, and serve.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- South American