These apple recipes would be fun at any Winter-themed dinner so get them now after the break.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage links, sliced crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 bulbs fennel, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 gala apples, cored and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the sausage, fennel and apples and toss to coat.
- Position a rack 5 inches beneath the broiler; preheat. Thread the sausage, fennel and apples onto metal skewers; arrange on baking sheets in a single layer. Broil, turning once, until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Main Dishes, Pork
- North American
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 1 cup for frying
1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 Gala apples—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise
1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
3 cups water
1 small canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook over low heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the apples and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the fruit and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the chipotle.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper and return to the pot.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Heat the remaining 1 cup of oil in a medium skillet. Add the tortilla strips and fry over high heat, stirring, until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Serve the soup in shallow bowls and garnish with the fried tortilla strips.
- Other, Soups/Stews