Last week my sister and I had a delicious beet and wheat berry salad at A16 restaurant. While we were munching on the juicy beets and pop in your mouth berries, she wondered how she could prepare beets in a similar manner at home. Well, Patricia — and anyone else who wants to know how to make beets — here's what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Trim the top and stems off the beets.
- Place the beets in a small baking dish and add 1/4 inch water (or you could use fresh orange juice for more flavor).
- Cover with foil and roast for 35-50 minutes, or until the beets are tender (like a baked potato).
- Cool slightly. Working quickly and using your fingers, peel off the skin and discard.
- Slice into wedges or chunks. Voila! The beets are ready for salad.
What's your favorite way to enjoy beets?