Like shoes in a closet, one can never have too many salad recipes in her repertoire. The latest addition to my collection is this recipe for a mushroom, apple, and goat cheese salad. Doesn't it sound crisp and delicious? Toasted walnuts add a nice crunch to the peppery arugula. The apple provides a flash of color, and the meaty mushrooms are coated with a honey-balsamic vinaigrette. Pair this salad with roast poultry, pork, or a bowl of soup. To get the recipe, read more.
1/2 cup walnut halves
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound assorted mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette, divided, recipe below
1 (4-oz.) package arugula, thoroughly washed
1 large Cameo apple, thinly sliced
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Place walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and saute 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 Tbsp. Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette. Remove from heat, and let cool 15 minutes.
- Toss together arugula, apple, mushrooms, and desired amount of Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Transfer to a serving dish, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and goat cheese.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk together first 5 ingredients until blended. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 cup.
Make ahead: make this vinaigrette up to two days ahead, and refrigerate in an airtight container. Allow it to come to room temperature, and whisk before serving.