I'm crazy about classic pesto; I absolutely love it and make it all the time in Summer, when basil is in season. However, after enjoying mint pesto with lamb chops, I've been really into mint pesto, too. When I came across this recipe for shrimp with mint pesto, I knew I had to make it. The thick pesto is wildly creamy, thanks to the addition of feta and parmesan cheese.
It was so delicious that I used the leftover pesto as a dip with crackers the following day! It's great with perfectly plump broiled shrimp and would be divine tossed with pasta or spread on crostini. Although the original Bon Appétit recipe serves the shrimp on rosemary skewers, rosemary was expensive at my local market, so I skipped this step. To give mint pesto a try, check out the technique after the break.
- Mint pesto
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons (packed) feta cheese
2 tablespoons (packed) Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped jalapeño chile
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups (packed) fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
24 large uncooked shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled, deveined, tails left intact
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- For mint pesto: Combine first 7 ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, process until mixture is smooth. Add mint leaves and lemon juice; process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Gradually add oil and process until mint pesto is smooth and creamy. Can be made 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.
- For shrimp: Preheat broiler. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Whisk oil, garlic, and parsley in medium bowl to blend. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Arrange shrimp in single layer on broiler pan. Broil until opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to large bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice and toss with 1/2 cup mint pesto.
- Arrange on platter and serve.
- Seafood, Appetizers
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.