1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (from about 8 limes)
8 ounces baby spinach
1 large mango (about 1 pound)
10 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine onion and 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lime juice. Cover, and let stand for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Peel mango. Cut along both sides of the pit to create two portions of mango. Slice each portion lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Add to spinach.
- Cut remaining mango from pit, and puree in a food processor or a blender with remaining 1/4 cup lime juice (you should have 1/2 cup puree).
- Strain onion and add to spinach, reserving juice. Toss shrimp with reserved lime juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until soft, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add shrimp mixture, and cook until opaque, about 2 minutes. Add mango puree, toss, and heat through. Add cilantro. Remove from heat, and toss with spinach, onion, and sliced mango. Serve immediately.
- Salads, Seafood
- North American