After drooling over Party's amazing brownies, I knew I was going to have to pull out the butter and flour and get to baking my own batch. Rather than making an überchocolate one like she did, I opted for a peanut butter and chocolate variation. Initially, I wanted a recipe for chocolate brownies with a peanut butter swirl, but I came across the reverse — peanut butter brownies with chocolate chunks — and had to give it a try!
These peanut butter brownies are dense, moist, and full of flavor. I added three quarters of a cup of chocolate chips and next time will make it an even cup, so every bite has both peanut butter and chocolate. These brownies are easy to make and would be out of this world served fresh from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you want to earn brownie points with your friends and family who are obsessed with the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, check out the recipe below.
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup nutty old-fashioned-style or freshly ground peanut butter
1 1/4 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter and flour 8-inch square baking pan.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. If oil has separated from peanut butter, stir to blend. Add peanut butter to butter; beat until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally
- Beat in brown sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- Add to peanut butter mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate.
- Transfer batter to pan. Using spatula, smooth top.
- Bake until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge of pan comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 40-50 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool completely. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)
Makes 9 large square brownies.
- Desserts, Brownies