Summer is coming to an end! I don't want it to, but there's no way to fight it, so instead, I celebrated by creating a frozen treat inspired by the great camping tradition of s'mores. Only a few days ago, Katie made homemade smores, and I decided to try my hand at s'mores popsicles. These easy popsicles only require five ingredients: vanilla ice cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, graham crackers, and vegetable oil.
To mimic the shape of a marshmallow, I made the pops in small juice glasses, although any pop mold or dixie cup would work. While these popsicles are not gooey and warm like the original s'more, they have the same great flavor. The first bite of roasted marshmallow ice cream, crisp chocolate, and crunchy graham crackers will cool down anyone who is basking in the last fiery days of Summer. These popsicles are irresistible to kids and adults, so if you want chilly s'mores, keep reading.
10 jumbo marshmallows
1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 full graham crackers, crumbled
- Place the marshmallows on a skewer and roast over a stove top (at medium heat) or barbecue until toasted and golden. Be careful, the marshmallows should not catch on fire.
- In a blender, combine the ice cream and marshmallows until smooth. The warmth from the marshmallows will melt the ice cream a little.
- Fill popsicle molds with the blended marshmallow ice cream mixture and place in the freezer. Wait at least 6 hours or overnight, until the ice cream is completely hardened.
- Prepare the chocolate coating. Choose a vessel that allows for easy dipping of the popsicles. I found a small coffee mug works best. Place the chocolate chips in the bowl or mug and melt in the microwave about one minute. Once the chocolate has melted, add the oil. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Cool until the chocolate is at room temperature, but do not chill until hardened. The chocolate should be in a liquid state for the dipping.
- Set up a station with both the cooled chocolate coating and crushed graham crackers. Dip the popsicles in the chocolate coating and roll around in the graham crackers. The chocolate coating will harden. If you have extra chocolate, it's possible to do a double layer of the coating and graham crackers.
- Serve immediately or cover with saran wrap and place in freezer until you are ready to serve.
Makes 4-6 popsicles, depending on the size of your mold.
- Desserts, Frozen