My dad is a late night closet chocoholic: after both my mom and I have gone to bed, he sneaks up to the kitchen for ice cream, chocolate candies, or his recent favorite chocolate pudding. Last week when I woke up, I noticed three empty plastic jello-pudding containers and a used spoon next to the sink! I decided I was going to do something nice for him last weekend and make him homemade chocolate pudding. I had watched the Barefoot Contessa make it on her show and it was beyond easy, just like making homemade ice cream without the hassle of rock salt and ice. The pudding was delicious, but according to my father, "great chocolate-y flavor but too thick, I would consider this more chocolate mousse than pudding." Now I've become obsessed with making the best chocolate pudding ever and will try recipe after recipe until he gives me the stamp of approval. I found this recipe which doesn't call for eggs so I am hoping that it's going to be more liquid-y. To make this all American, classic can't go-wrong dessert for your father, read more.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
10 oz. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Sweetened whipped cream, optional topping
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt.
- In a medium size mixing bowl with pouring spout, combine heavy cream with milk and vanilla.
- Whisk 1 cup cream mixture into dry ingredients until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Whisk in remaining cream mixture until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate, and cook, whisking until chocolate is melted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in butter until melted. Using a ladle, pour pudding into six dessert cups.
- Refrigerate until completely set, about 1 hour. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping.