1 bunch scallions (6 scallions), whites and greens separated, greens cut into 2-inch lengths and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 ounce ginger, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Canola oil, for grill pan
1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
6 ounces soba noodles
1 head baby bok choy (4 ounces), trimmed, thinly sliced on bias
4 ounces snow peas, trimmed, halved on the bias
1 red serrano chile, thinly sliced crosswise
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine scallion whites, ginger, garlic, and 8 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until flavorful, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan over medium-high; lightly oil. Slice tofu in half; season with salt and pepper. Add tofu pieces to hot pan and cook, turning to grill all sides, about 15 minutes total. Remove from pan; once cool enough to handle, cut into small cubes.
- Strain aromatics from broth with a slotted spoon; discard solids. Bring broth to a boil; add soy sauce and soba. Cook soba until 1 minute before al dente.
- Add bok choy, snow peas, and chile. Cook until veggies are tender-crisp. Add more soy sauce, if desired.
- To serve, place noodles in bowl with broth; top with tofu, scallion greens, and sesame seeds.
- Main Dishes, Tofu
- Other Asian