Last week JessNess shared her favorite recipe for chicken tortilla soup over in Kitchen Goddess. She inspired me, and I sort of had the spicy soup on my mind all weekend. When I asked my older brother and his roommate what kind of soup they wanted for dinner on Sunday night, they begged me to make chicken tortilla.
This soup is easy to make and wonderfully flavorful. Don't use store-bought tortilla chips and do take the time to fry the tortillas. The fresh, fried tortilla strips really make a difference in the soup's texture. My fabulous brother gave it a 10 and has been raving to everyone about how delicious it was! To make it for the men in your life, read more
6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup grapeseed oil, peanut oil, other high smoke-point oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium jalapeño , veins removed, chopped
4 cups chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (recommended Muir Glen fire-roasted)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 ripe medium avocado
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz) (or other mild, melting cheese)
1 teaspoon chopped chipotle in adobo
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and chile; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add chicken; heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, fry the tortillas. Cut tortillas in half; cut halves into 1/4-inch strips. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry strips in oil, 1/3 at a time, until light brown and crisp. Remove from pan, sprinkle with salt; drain on paper towels. Reserve.
- Mix the chipotle in adobo, sour cream, and fresh lime juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- To serve, peel and pit the avocado. Cut into 1-inch slices.
- Divide half of tortilla strips among 4 individual serving bowls; ladle in soup. Top with avocado and cheese; garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with chipotle sour cream and lime wedges.