I couldn't let St. Patrick's Day pass without making a vibrantly green soup. This soup gets its brilliant color from peas. The recipe involves minimal chopping so it's super simple to make. The texture is smooth and velvety, and the flavor is rich and comforting. This soup would be an elegant starter to a St. Patrick's Day dinner or Spring-themed shower. To make it vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth. To see how I made it,
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white parts only
5 tbsp. all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth
5 cups fresh or frozen peas
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
croutons, optional for garnish
- Heat butter in Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat.
- Add leeks; saute until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring until dissolved. Add broth; bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Stir in peas; reduce heat and simmer, 10-15 minutes.
- Using a handheld blender, puree. Stir in cream; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons, if desired and serve.
- Other, Soups/Stews
- North American