- Biltong: a dried, spiced meat, similar to jerky. It can be made from beef or game.
- Malva Pudding: a sweet pudding of Afrikaner origin. It's made with apricot jam, has a spongelike texture, and is a favorite of many South Africans.
- Boerewors: a handmade farm sausage that's wrapped into a spiral and cooked on the grill. It's a staple in braais or South African barbecues.
- Bobotie: a dish popular with the Cape Malay community that features spiced minced meat with an egg-based topping.
- Potjiekos: a meat and vegetable stew from the Netherlands that is typically prepared outdoors, often at social events known as potjies.
- Rusks: dried biscuits that are typically eaten after being dunked in coffee or rooibos tea. The most popular brand of rusks in South Africa is easily Ouma.
- Pinotage Wine: A red wine varietal that is South Africa's signature variety. It typically has deep smoky and earthy flavors with hints of fruit.
Have you ever tried any South African food?