Who says chicken salad has to involve globs of mayonnaise and chopped celery? This recipe gives the classic salad a Southwestern-style twist.
Cooked shredded chicken is tossed with rice, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, and green onions. A quick ground cumin vinaigrette flavors the mixture. For a hearty variation, serve the salad in warmed tortillas sprinkled with cheese.
This salad is also delicious the next day, making it perfect for back-to-school lunches or late Summer picnics. Get the recipe and
- 1 cup brown (or white) rice
- 1 cooked chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired), minced
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Spread on a baking sheet; refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile place cooled rice in a large bowl; add chicken, beans, tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, vinegar, oil, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
- Salads, Main Dishes