In my family, the holidays mean one thing: cheese diablo wafers. This is a longstanding family recipe that we make every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the whole family inevitably ends up fighting over them. They're spicy, crumbly, and irresistibly rich, and they set the stage for a decadent holiday feast.
Another bonus? They're a cinch to make, meaning you can make several batches (which you'll probably need) without much added effort. Use good-quality cheddar — I like sharp Tillamook — and keep an eye on them in the oven because they bake up quickly! Side note: best enjoyed with a Manhattan.
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients together by hand, until everything is well incorporated and forms into a dough.
- Roll pieces of dough into 1 inch balls and line evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until they have flattened out and are brown around the edges.
- Appetizers, Breads/Crackers
- Makes approximately 15 wafers
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Camilla Salem
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.