3 large baking potatoes, peeled and grated
1/2 cup finely diced leeks, white part only
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup canola oil
For the chutney
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 jalapeño, minced
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- For the latkes Press the excess water from the grated potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the potatoes with the leeks, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. Use a tablespoon to drop potato batter into the skillet. Flatten the potatoes with a spatula. Fry until golden brown, a couple minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- For the chutney In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, water, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and jalapeño and sauté about 5 minutes. Stir in the apples and orange juice mixture. Let come to a low simmer.
- Cover and cook until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with the latkes.
- Appetizers, Vegetables
- North American