Think fast! You've just been invited to a Memorial Day barbecue that promises to be fun and fabulous. The hostess asked you to bring a dessert. What do you make? Instead of picking up an expensive store-bought confection, head to the local market and get the ingredients to make this easy and uncomplicated strawberry shortcake trifle. The winning combination of fluffy vanilla cake, sweet, juicy strawberries, and pillowy whipped cream is a Spring favorite that is sure to please any crowd. The hardest part of this delectable finish is the whipped cream; everything else is assembled. See how simple the recipe is now.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1 pound cake, store bought or homemade
1/4 cup-1/2 cup simple syrup or berry-flavored liqueur, like Chambord or Creme de Cassis
1 small jar strawberry jam
1 pint of strawberries, hulled and quartered
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over beat.
- Slice the pound cake into 1/4-inch slices. Brush lightly with the simple syrup or liqueur. Spread each slice with a generous amount of strawberry jam.
- In a large clear bowl or trifle dish, arrange a layer of the pound cake spread with jam on the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the whipped cream and sprinkle 1/3 of the sliced strawberries over the top.
- Repeat two more times (or until you run out and the dish is full): layering the pound cake spread with the jam, the whipped cream, and strawberries. The final layer should be whipped cream and strawberries.
- Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Can be made 1-2 days in advance. To serve, slice into pieces and scoop out with a spoon.
- Desserts, Whipped Cream